Over the past 20 plus years of working in the real estate industry we have had many clients ask us if they should hold off on selling their home or even taking their home off the market during the holiday season. Our response to them is Definitely NOT! LIST IT NOW!!
Many would assume that the market slows down this time of year or that there aren't any potential buyers wanting to move during the holidays. But in reality the months of November and December are often the best time of year to sell or even buy a home. There are many reasons for this but the top two are; less competition and motivated buyers.
1. Less Competition: Do to the fact that many home owners do not want to deal with the hassle of the holidays along with the stress of selling their home, there will be fewer homes on the market that could be compared to yours which leads to less to competition. With lower inventory and less options, your home will stand out which could result in a higher sale price.
2. Motivated Buyers: Typically buyers who are looking during the holidays are serious about buying a new home. This could be for many reasons such as having to relocate for a new job or trying to get their children into a new school prior to the second semester starting. Motivated buyers are usually more driven to close escrow and more willing to negotiate on price and terms.
Other points to consider when thinking about listing this time of year.
- Buyers have more free time to look at property and search the internet. With less options on the market this will result in more showings and internet exposure for your home.
- Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons or benefits
- Emotion plays a huge role when a buyer decides to purchase. The holiday season also strikes a sense of emotion and importance of family. A buyer seeing your home beautifully decorated may create a sense home and and help them see their own family in the space.
Don't hesitate if you are thinking of selling your home over this holiday season. It could end up benefiting you greatly!
Happy Holidays From The Putman Team